Director of Operations
YOU'LL CONTRIBUTE TO ENDING WORLD HUNGER BY ...
providing leadership, direction, strategy, vision and operational integrity for Action Against Hunger-USA’s programs and projects. As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Director of Operations is expected to contribute to the organization’s general leadership and direction, working closely with the CEO and other members of the SMT, helping the various departments work collaboratively in the best interest of the whole, and defining the strategic direction of the organization nationally and internationally. The Director of Operations oversees all key operations staff toward the goal of ensuring that Action Against Hunger-USA programs are implemented at the highest possible quality, in accordance with the organization’s mission and values. The Director of Operations has primary responsibility for the development and implementation of programs in the field, inspiring the operations teams to deliver well designed and properly executed work to help the largest number of beneficiaries possible. The Director of Operations is responsible for guaranteeing that safety and security at field level are managed appropriately.
KEY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR ROLE WILL INCLUDE
- Developing a strong relationship with internal stakeholders and externally with institutional donors, other NGOs and with major private donors supporting (or potentially supporting) field operations.
- Managing and developing staff
- Promoting responsible stewardship of agency finances and resources in the field.
- Working with the Finance Department to maintain program funding projections; develop and update, as needed, the program/mission budgets; coordinate on-going monitoring of the budgets and utilize grant development and budget oversight to optimize all resources from donor contracts and private funding.
- Working with the External Relations Department to identify funding opportunities, developing partnerships with the private sector, building relationships with donors, developing proposals, and meeting with donors as needed.
- Participating in humanitarian forum in the US, with the NGO community and the United Nations.
DO YOU MEET THE PROFILE REQUIRED CRITERIA ?
You have a proven track record of being a high performer and results oriented professional managing an operational support team
- You have 10 or more years’ experience working at a senior level in an international aid capacity, or in a similar role.
- You have Masters’ degree in a relevant field or related, equivalent experience.
- You have extensive experience as a manager and the ability to motivate, coach and lead a multi-cultural team, and to supervise direct reports remotely.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
You’re passionate about working in the humanitarian sector
- You have demonstrated knowledge of international humanitarian affairs, including a solid understanding of donor policies and procedures; ability to analyze complex and sensitive material and report on it cogently to colleagues.
- You have capacity to negotiate complex operational strategies and programming with partners (institutional donors, NGOs and corporations), as well as internal network counterparts.
- You are willing and able to travel to visit donors and staff, both nationally and internationally.
- You have substantial experience managing challenging security situations in humanitarian emergencies.