Country Director, Somalia
Action Against Hunger is an international humanitarian organization committed to saving the lives of malnourished children while providing communities with access to safe water and sustainable solutions to hunger.
You'll contribute to ending world hunger by ...
By providing strategic vision and thought leadership, oversee the development , funding and implementation of the country strategy and the growth of program portfolio that effectively addresses the underlying causes and effects of malnutrition in line with Action Against Hunger's values, Programming Principles, and Strategy. You will play a key role in building and maintaining strategic alliances with multiple stakeholders including the private sector, government actors, donors and partners.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Designing and implementing an innovative Country strategy
- Developing the Country office structure to respond to emerging trends
- Developing and enchanting relationships with influential stakeholders
- Managing and being part of a mature, dynamic and stable Country team
- Ensuring the Action Against Hunger-USA Values are firmly integrated into the working culture of the Somalia Country office
- Generating a strong sense of pride, purpose and belonging among the different teams and contributing towards making Action Against Hunger one of the best non-profit organizations to work for
- Management and oversight of Country office logistics, human resources, finances and security protocols
Do you meet the required criteria?
You are enthusiastically pursuing a career in senior management
- You have a minimum 10 years humanitarian work in an emergency and/or a development context
- You have at least 5 years of senior management experience
- You have advance knowledge of donor guidelines and procedures (ECHO, EU, UNICEF, DFID, BPRM, GAC and others.)
- You have high level financial management skills and are accustomed to steering an organizational budget
You are passionate about leading ambitious programming that has impact
- You are able to see past the inevitable day-to-day emergencies to set & reinforce a long-term strategic vision for the country office
- You eagerly engage your teams & promote the development & implementation of innovative approaches to solve core humanitarian problems
- You’re comfortable coaching & developing the skills of your direct reports, adapting your leadership to professionals who may, or may not, be familiar working in humanitarian action
- Your knowledge of the donor community ensures projects respond to the most pressing humanitarian needs & that activities remain compliant with grant requirements
- You’re able to analyze changes in your context & discuss the implications with senior operational staff. You are comfortable communicating HQ decisions to your team & relevant partners
- You intuitively adapt how you communicate context analysis, strategy, policies & procedures to suit different audiences - both verbally & in writing
- You are diplomatic but tenacious. You recognize that advocating for change & innovative programming requires building strong relationships with donors, local authorities & other partners, while retaining the space to speak confidently about Action Against Hunger’s programs & our knowledge of the humanitarian needs
Your work style builds confidence with others
- You are an astute negotiator and know how to reach Win-Win outcomes
- You are a tactful speaker & expert listener
- You believe that every problem has a solution. It is the way we approach the problem that makes the difference
- You are able to remain calm under pressure and can easily adapt to changing circumstances
- You are able to continuously motivate yourself and your teams to deliver high standards of work
- You demonstrate strong self-awareness and are not afraid to take responsibility for your actions.
- You are ready and willing to integrate into hard working and fun team that believes in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well
Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: -
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
- Child allowance
For an all-inclusive list of benefits check the Action Against Hunger Website